Benjamin E. Zehnder
Ben was born and raised in Wellfleet and now lives in Orleans. He received his B.A. from The University of Virginia with a major in English Literature in 1985 and his Juris Doctor from Boston University School of Law in 1990. Ben practiced with the firm of Laraja and Kanaga in Orleans from 1990 to 1998. From 1998-2004 he was associated with the firm of Zisson and Veara in Dennis. Between 2004 and 2016 he owned and managed Benjamin E. Zehnder LLC in Orleans.
Ben represents property owners in zoning and municipal permitting matters at local board levels as well as in appeals in the Land Court and Superior Court departments and the Appeals Court. He also litigates real estate matters in the Land Court, Superior Court, District Court and Probate Court departments, including boundary and title disputes, right of way disputes, adverse possession matters, landlord tenant matters and partition actions.
Ben specializes in the area of federal Cape Cod National Seashore regulations, their relationship to local zoning regulations and their applicability to ownership and development of private property within the National Seashore boundaries.
Prior to his association with La Tanzi, Spaulding & Landreth, Ben represented buyers, sellers and lenders in residential and commercial transactions for over 25 years. He currently provides systemized home equity loan title and registration services for local lenders in Barnstable, Plymouth and Dukes counties.
Ben is also a certified trained mediator offering mediation services for real estate based disputes.
- Nauset Regional High School, Eastham, MA 1981 graduate
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA B.A. 1985
- Boston University School of Law, Boston, MA J.D. 1990
- Cape Cod Mediation – Mediation Certification 2017
- Massachusetts, 1990
Professional & Civic Activities
- Cape Cod Lighthouse Charter School – Board of Trustees, 2002-2005, Board Advisor – 2005-2006
- Legal Services for Cape Cod and the Islands, Inc. – Board of Directors, Treasurer, 1996-2000
- Asclepius Corp. – Board of Directors, 1996-2000
- Springbrook Center, Inc. – Wellfleet Drive-In and Cinemas – Advisor to Board of Directors, 1998-present
- Cape Cod Five Cents Savings Bank – Board of Corporators, 2001-present
- Cape Cod Foundation – Member, Arts and Culture Donation Advisory Committee, 2008-2013, Chair, 2012-2013
- Town of Wellfleet Finance Committee, member 1994-1995, 1997-2000, 2002-2003
- Town of Wellfleet Bylaw Review Committee – 2006-2013
- Town of Wellfleet Personnel Task Force – 2010-2011
- Laraja, Kanaga & Bott, P.C., Orleans, MA – Associate, 1990–1996
- Laraja, Kanaga & Zehnder, P.C., Orleans, MA, Partner, 1996–1998
- Zisson & Veara, Dennis, MA, Associate, 1998–2004
- Benjamin E. Zehnder LLC, Orleans, MA – Principal, 2004-2016