Brooks S. Thayer
Brooks was born in New York City, but has lived in Orleans all his life. He graduated as a government major from Dartmouth College, where he was active in student government. He was admitted to a select combined degree program at Vanderbilt University, earning both a law degree and a Masters in Business Administration. While at Vanderbilt Law School, he received the American Jurisprudence Award for Academic Excellence in the area of Wills and Trusts.
After graduation from law school, Brooks practiced at the Boston law firm of Goldstein & Manello, P.C. In 1993, Brooks joined La Tanzi, Spaulding & Landreth, where he became a partner in 1997 and the Managing Partner in 2006.
Brooks is a credentialed Certified Elder Law Attorney (C.E.L.A.) through the National Elder Law Foundation, and has served as President of the Estate Planning Council of Cape Cod and as a Board Member of the Massachusetts Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys. He is also active in the community, serving on boards of numerous local charitable organizations and as a call member of the Orleans Rescue Squad and Fire Department.
Brooks concentrates his practice in the areas of estate planning, estate settlement/probate and elder law, and is a frequent speaker on estate planning, planned giving, Medicaid and nursing home issues. Brooks has been recognized, since 2004, as a preeminent Trusts and Estate Lawyer in Boston Magazine’s annual “Super Lawyer” Edition.
- J.D., Vanderbilt University, 1986 American Jurisprudence Award, Achievement in Wills and Trusts
- M.B.A., Vanderbilt University, 1986
- B.A., Dartmouth College, 1981
- Massachusetts, 1986
Professional & Civic Activities
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Barnstable County Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association, Probate Law Section
- Estate Planning Council of Cape Cod, past President and Director
- Certified Elder Law Attorney (CELA) by National Elder Law Foundation
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Massachusetts Chapter, past Director
- Orleans Commission on Disabilities, past Chairman
- Cape Cod Foundation, past Chairman
- Cape Cod Volunteers, Founding Chairman
- Cape Cod Museum of Natural History
- Raymond Moore Foundation (Cape Playhouse)
- Joshua Nickerson Society, past Chairman
- Goldstein & Manello, Boston, Massachusetts, Associate, 1986–1993
- EMT and member of Orleans Fire Department and Rescue Squad for more than 35 years