Duane P. Landreth
Duane was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio. He graduated from Dartmouth College with distinction in his major, Economics. After serving in the United States Navy as a department head on a destroyer, Duane studied at Boston University School of Law, where he was a member of the Law Review. Upon graduation, Duane published an article in the Urban Law Journal about a study he undertook on the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974.
Early in his career, Duane practiced as an associate with Thompson, Hine and Flory in Cleveland. In 1976, Duane joined Tom La Tanzi and Larry Spaulding, where he was named a partner in 1981. For 20 years, he maintained a general litigation practice, representing clients in diverse types of cases ranging from plaintiff’s personal injury, to divorce, to criminal to eminent domain and Land Court title, and general commercial disputes. Since 1995, Duane has concentrated his practice on municipal and non-municipal land use law, including local permitting, zoning and state and local environmental regulations. He also represents several corporate clients in a variety of business matters, including contract review and negotiation and employment matters.
Duane is active in local government, having served as chairman of the Orleans Charter Commission (1985–86) and as Town Moderator, presiding at Orleans Town Meetings since first elected in 1993. He also served for many years as Counsel for the towns of Provincetown and Brewster.
- J.D., Boston University Law School, 1974
- B.A., Dartmouth College, 1964
- Massachusetts, 1977
- Ohio, 1975
Professional & Civic Activities
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Barnstable County Bar Association
- Thompson, Hine & Flory, Cleveland, Ohio
- Town Moderator to the Town of Orleans, 1993–present
- Town Counsel to the Town of Provincetown, 1978–1982
- Town Counsel to the Town of Brewster, 1983–1984
- Special Town Counsel to the Towns of Brewster and Harwich
- Charter Commission for the Town of Orleans, Chairman 1985–1986